Geneva General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade Act, 1948
Act 75 of 1948
- Commenced on 14 December 1948
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 1998.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Geneva General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade Act, 1948.
2. InterpretationIn this Act unless the context otherwise requires—
3. Approval of the general agreement on tariffs and tradeThe general agreement on tariffs and trade concluded at Geneva on the thirtieth day of October, 1947, by the Governments of the Commonwealth of Australia, the Kingdom of Belgium, the United States of Brazil, Burma, Canada, Ceylon, the Republic of Chile, the Republic of China, the Republic of Cuba, the Czechoslovak Republic, the French Republic, India, Lebanon, the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, New Zealand, the Kingdom of Norway, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Syria, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Republic of South Africa and the United States of America, is hereby approved.
4. Date from which agreement shall be appliedThe agreement shall, in relation to the territories the Governments of which are referred to in section 3, be applied, either provisionally or definitively as the Minister may determine by notice in the Gazette, with effect from a date specified in such notice.
5. Withholding or withdrawal of concessions in relation to countries not accepting or withdrawing from agreementThe Minister may by notice in the Gazette withhold or withdraw, as the case may be, any concessions, including concessions in customs tariff rates, which the Government of the Kingdom of Swaziland has in terms of the agreement undertaken to grant or granted to any party to the agreement if such party does not accept the agreement or, as the case may be, withdraws from the agreement after having accepted or acceded to it.
6. Accession of new parties to the agreement
7. Withdrawal or modification of concessions in accordance with the agreementThe Minister may by notice in the Gazette and subject to the terms of the agreement and with effect from a date specified in the notice withdraw, in whole or in part, any concession, including a concession in customs tariff rates, granted to any party to the agreement or, in consideration of equivalent privileges in respect of goods imported from Swaziland into the territory of any party to the agreement, grant further concessions in customs tariff rates in respect of specified goods produced or manufactured in the territory of that party on their importation into Swaziland.
8. Application of customs tariff in relation to territories the Governments of which are parties to the agreement
9. Application in relation to certain territories of custom tariff of rates applied in relation to territories whose Governments are parties to the agreement
10. Application in relation to certain areas of Germany of customs tariff rates applied in relation to territories whose Governments are parties to the agreement
History of this document
01 December 1998 this version
14 December 1948