Nurses and Midwives Act, 1965
Act 16 of 1965
- Commenced on 12 September 1967
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 1998.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Nurses and Midwives Act, 1965.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“Association” means the Association established by section 25;“Board” [Repealed A.2/1989]“Chairman” means, as appropriate, Chairman of the Board or of the Council or of the Executive Committee;“College” means the Nazarene Nursing College;[Added A.2/1989]“Council” means the Council established by section 10;“Director” means the Director of Medical Services;“Director of Education” and “education officer” mean, respectively, the Director of Education and other officers in the Department of Education;“Executive Committee” or “Committee” means the Committee established by section 28;“inquiry” means an inquiry under Part III;“Institute” means the Institute of Health Sciences;[Added A.2/1989]“medical practitioner” means a medical practitioner registered or licensed under the Medical and Dental Practitioners Act, No. 3 of 1970;“Minister” means the Minister for Health and Social Welfare;“nurse” includes a male nurse;“pupil midwife” means a person whose name appears in a Register of Pupil Midwives kept under sections 6(1)(c) or 13(1)(d);“Register” means Register kept in accordance with section 14(a) and “registered” includes deemed, by section 32, to be registered;“Registrar” means the person appointed under section 14;“Roll” means the Roll kept in accordance with section 14(b);“senior nurse” means a nurse of a least ten years’ experience in nursing;“student nurse” means a person whose name appears in a Register of Student Nurses kept under section 6(1)(c) or 13(1)(d);“magistrate’s court” means a court constituted under the Subordinate Courts Act No. 66 of 1938;“University” means the University of Swaziland.[Added A.2/1989]
Part II – Examinations
3. Final Professional Nursing and Midwives ExaminationsThe University shall, in conjunction with the Institute and the College—
Part III – The Council
10. Nursing Council for Swaziland
11. Constitution of the Council
12. Meetings of the Council
14. Appointment of RegistrarThe Council shall appoint a Registrar to keep a Register and a Roll under its direction for the purposes mentioned in section 15(1) and 16(1).
15. Registration or enrolment of nurses and midwives
16. Registration of additional qualifications
17. Swaziland members of the BoardThe Chairman of the Council shall submit to the Minister the names of the members of the Council for the purpose of the nomination by him of members of any Committee formed or appointed by the University in conjunction with the Institute and the College under section 3.[Amended A. 2/1989]
18. Inquiry by the Council into improper or disgraceful conductWithout prejudice to any proceedings for an offence the Council may, in the prescribed manner, inquire into a complaint, charge or other allegation of improper or disgraceful conduct against a registered or enrolled person whether such conduct relates to the profession of such person or whether it is prescribed as constituting improper or disgraceful conduct.
19. Proceedings at an inquiry
20. Proof of improper or disgraceful conductThe conviction by a court of a registered or enrolled person (whether such conviction was before or after his registration or enrolment) of an offence the commission of which, in the opinion of the Council, constitutes improper or disgraceful conduct shall for the purpose of an inquiry unless the contrary is proved be proof of improper or disgraceful conduct by that person.
21. PunishmentsWhere, at an inquiry, the Council finds the allegation has been proved, it may impose on the person—
22. Appeal to the High Court
23. Council’s power after award of punishmentThe Council may, if it thinks fit—
24. Protection against legal proceedingsExcept as provided in this Act, legal proceedings, whether civil or criminal, shall not lie against the Council, or a member or officer thereof, in respect of any function or other act performed bona fide under sections 18 to 23 inclusive.
Part IV – Swaziland Nursing Association
25. Swaziland Nursing Association
26. Objects of the AssociationThe objects of the Association are—
27. Meetings of the Association
28. Executive Committee of the Association
29. Meetings of the Executive Committee
30. Functions of the AssociationThe Association shall—
Part V – General
History of this document
01 December 1998 this version
12 September 1967