Cotton Act, 1967
Act 26 of 1967
- Assented to on 20 February 1968
- Commenced on 19 April 1968
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 1998.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Cotton Act, 1967.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires“authorized officer” means the Principal Secretary or a public officer authorized by him to issue permits in terms of section 9;“board” means the Cotton Board established by section 3;“chairman” means the chairman of the board; or in his absence, the vice-chairman;“Clarkes Cotton (Swaziland) Limited” means the company incorporated and registered, with that name, under the law relating to companies;“committee” means a committee appointed under section 8;“cotton lint” means fibres of seed-cotton after removal of the cotton seed;“cotton plant” means the species and varieties of the plant gossypium grown commercially;“cotton residues” means cotton plants remaining in the field after harvesting of the seed cotton;“cotton seed” means seed from which cotton is grown after separation from the cotton lint;“disqualified” means disqualified by section 5;“duly qualified auditor” means an auditor whose qualifications are recognized by the law of any country as entitling him to practise as an auditor in that country;“executive officer” means an officer appointed under section 6(1);“financial year” means a period of twelve months ending on the first day of December in each year;“fund” means the Cotton Improvement Fund or the Special Levy Fund, as the case may be, established under section 13 and section 13A respectively;[Amended A.5/1992]“grower” means a grower of seed cotton who, in the opinion of the board, markets or intends to market seed cotton grown in Swaziland;“meeting” means a meeting of the board or of a committee;“member” means a member of the board;“owner”, when used in relation to land, means the registered owner thereof when he is in actual occupation of the land, and when he is not in occupation of the land, means the person who, for the time being, whether as lessee, licensee or otherwise is entitled for his own account to have charge, control, and management of the land;“Minister” means the Minister for Agriculture;“Principal Secretary” means the Principal Secretary of the Ministry of Agriculture;“season” means a period of twelve months commencing with the first day of September of any year;“seed-cotton” means unginned cotton or cotton as reaped from the cotton plant and consisting of cotton lint and seed before separation by ginning;“Swaziland Cotona Ginning Company Limited” means the company incorporated and registered, with that name, under the law relating to companies;“Swaziland Agricultural Union” means the union of agricultural associations formed by farmers to further the interests of organized agriculture in Swaziland and known in terms of its constitution by this name;“vice-chairman” means the vice-chairman of the board.
Part II – Establishment, membership and administration of the Board
3. Establishment of the BoardA Cotton Board is hereby established as a body corporate with perpetual succession and shall, in its corporate name, be capable of suing and being sued, and of purchasing or otherwise acquiring, holding or alienating movable or immovable property.
4. Membership of the Board
5. Disqualifications of members and alternates
6. Executive officer and staff of the board
7. Procedure of the board
Part III – Functions of the board
8. General functions of the boardThe board may—
9. Control of the importation and use of cotton seed in specified areas
10. Dates for planting and destruction and mode of destruction of cotton
11. Cotton research
12. Power to require information
Part IV – Finance and annual report
13. Cotton Improvement Fund
13A. Special Levy Fund
14. Administrative costs of the boardThe board shall not meet its administrative costs from the Fund, but from other sources available to it in terms of this Act.
15. Accounts and annual report
Part V – Miscellaneous
16. Liability of board members and staffThe chairman, any other member of the board and any person acting by their directions shall not be personally liable to any action, liability, claim or demand whatsoever in respect of any act performed bona fide for the purpose of carrying out any provision of this Act and without reckless disregard for the rights of others.
History of this document
01 December 1998 this version
19 April 1968
20 February 1968