Passports Act, 1971
Act 19 of 1971
- Assented to on 3 November 1971
- Commenced on 12 November 1971
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 1998.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Passports Act, 1971.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Minister" means the Deputy Prime Minister;"officer" means any officer in the Immigration Department, and includes any officer of customs, any police officer and any person authorized by the Minister to exercise the powers conferred on officers by this Act;"overseas representative" means a diplomatic representative for Swaziland or a representative of the Government in any other country, and includes a High Commissioner or a Trade Commissioner for Swaziland in any other country;"passport" means a document which is issued by or on behalf of the Government of any country, and which purports to establish the identity and nationality of the holder for the purpose of facilitating travel abroad;"Swaziland passport" means a passport or travel document issued by or on behalf of the Government.
3. Issue of passports in Swaziland
4. Power to renew and endorse Swaziland passport and grant visa
5. Offence to obtain passport, etc. by false representationAny person who, for the purpose of obtaining a Swaziland passport or a renewal, endorsement or visa in respect of a passport, knowingly makes any false representation or any statement that is false in a material particular shall be guilty of an offence.
6. Power to take possession of certain passports
7. Power to issue certificate of identityThe Minister may issue a certificate of identity or other travel document to a person residing in Swaziland in such form as may be prescribed.
8. Minister may authorize issue of passport by Swaziland representative overseas
9. Saving of passport issued, etc.Any passport and renewal, endorsement and visa in respect of any passport issued, made or granted in Swaziland or by any Swaziland representative in any other country before the commencement of this Act, and generally any act of authority in relation to any such passport, renewal, endorsement or visa which is subsisting or in force at the commencement of this Act shall ensure for the purposes of this Act as fully and effectually as if it had originated under this Act, and accordingly shall where necessary be deemed to have so originated.
10. Production of passport by person arriving in Swaziland
11. Power to order passport to be delivered
11bis. Prevention of certain activities in foreign countries
11ter. Prevention of departure from Swaziland without passport or similar document
12. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for any purpose for which regulations are contemplated by this Act, and may make all such other regulations as, in his opinion, are necessary or expedient for giving full effect to this Act, and for the due administration thereof.
13. FeesSuch fees as may be prescribed shall be payable in respect of the issue of any Swaziland passport and in respect of any other matters arising out of this Act.
14. PenaltiesAny person who commits an offence under this Act shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred emalangeni or imprisonment not exceeding two years, or both.
History of this document
12 November 1971
03 November 1971