Refugees Control Order, 1978
Act 5 of 1978
- Assented to on 11 April 1978
- Commenced on 14 April 1978
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 1998.]
1. Short titleThis King’s Order-in-Council may be cited as The Refugees Control Order, 1978.
2. InterpretationIn this Order, unless the context otherwise requires —"authorised" means authorised by the Minister;"authorised officer" means the Principal Secretary, and includes an authorised police officer, an authorised officer of the Swaziland Prison Service or of the Umbutfo Royal Swaziland Defence Force, a refugee officer, and any public officer for the time being designated by the Minister as an authorised officer;"Minister" means the Minister for Home Affairs;"Principal Secretary" means the Principal Secretary of the Minister for Home Affairs’ Office;"reception area" means an area declared as such under section 4;"refugee" means a person belonging to a class of persons to whom a declaration under section 3 applies;"refugee officer" means any person for the time being appointed under section 4(2);"refugee settlement" means a refugee settlement established under section 4.
3. Declaration of refugees
4. Reception areas and refugee settlements
5. Places of entry or departure
6. Registration of refugees and identity cards
7. Restriction on possession of firearms, weapons, etc., by refugees
8. Detention and slaughter of animals
9. Use of vehicles
10. Deportation of refugees
11. Permits to remain in Swaziland
12. Requirement to reside in reception area or refugee settlement
13. Control of refugees’ settlement
14. Restrictions relating to refugee settlements
15. Offences and penalties
16. Arrest and use of force
17. Protection of officersNo act or thing done or omitted to be done by any authorised officer or other person shall, if the act or omission was done or omitted bona fide while acting in the execution of his duty under this Order, subject him personally to any liability, action, claim or demand whatsoever.
18. Manner of publishing rules, orders etc.
History of this document
14 April 1978
11 April 1978