Public Service Pensions Order, 1993
Kings Order in Council 13 of 1993
- Published in Swaziland Government Gazette 970 on 13 August 1993
- Assented to on 28 July 1993
- Commenced on 1 November 1993 by Public Service Pensions Order, 1993 (Date of Commencement) Notice, 1993
- [This is the version of this document at 1 December 1998.]
1. Short title and commencementThis Order may be cited as the Public Service Pensions Order, 1993 and shall come into force on such date as the Minister may by notice in the Gazette, appoint.
2. InterpretationIn this Order, unless the context otherwise requires:“Board” means the Public Service Pensions Board established under Section 4 of this Order;“Fund” means the Public Service Pensions Fund established under section 3 of this Order;“Government” means the Government of Swaziland;“Minister” means the Minister responsible for the Public Service;“non-pensionable office” means an office in the Public Service that is not pensionable;“pensionable office” means an office in the Public Service in which the holder of that office is employed on a permanent basis and includes any probation period thereof;“public service” means:(a)service in a civil capacity in the government notwithstanding that such service is permanent or probational;(b)service as a member of the teaching service;(c)service as a member of the Police Force, Fire Service, Prison Service or Defence Force;(d)any other service which the Minister, in consultation with the Public Service Pensions Fund Board, may determine to be public service for the purpose of this Order;“public officer” means a person who holds or is appointed to a pensionable office, and includes a person whose terms and conditions of service are governed by a contract between himself and the Government;“Regulations” means the Public Service Pensions Fund Regulations, 1993 and any other regulations which the Minister may, in consultation with the Public Service Pensions Fund Board, make from time to time to fulfil the objects and purpose of this Order;“Secretary” means the Secretary to the Board appointed in terms of section 5 of this Order.
3. Establishment of the Public Service Pensions Fund
4. Establishment of the Public Service Pensions Board
5. Chief Executive Officer and other staff members
6. ApplicationThis Order shall apply to every public officer who—
7. SavingNothing in this Order shall diminish the pensions granted to any persons who have retired before the commencement of this Order under the Pensions Proclamation (Cap. 57), the Pension Act, 1968, the Umbutfo Swaziland Defence Force (Gratuities) Regulations, 1979 or the Commercial Union Pension Scheme for teachers (CUSADA), except that such pensions shall, from that date, be paid out of the Fund.
8. TransitionAn Officer whose office is not considered a pensionable office under this Order shall make contributions to the Swaziland National Provident Fund.
9. Pensions Regulations (Schedule)
10. RepealThe Pensions Act, 1968 and the Umbutfo Swaziland Defence Force (Gratuities) Regulations, 1979 are hereby repealed.
11. Effect of Order on existing lowsSubject to the Public Enterprises (Control and Monitoring) Act, 1989 any law in force before or after the commencement of this Order, shall, to the extent that it is inconsistent with any of the provisions of this Order and the Pensions Regulations, be deemed to have been amended.
History of this document
01 December 1998 this version
01 November 1993
13 August 1993
28 July 1993